Wednesday, August 20, 2008

and i hope we'll be here, hope we'll be here still

Every once in a while I get a brief flash of inexplicable and overwhelming excitement, inspiration, wonder, and the urge to just go outside and just run until I find what I'm running towards.

There are so many things I want to write. There is this big trilogy I've been kicking around, you could maybe call it "Star Wars with balls," that other script that is inching closer and closer to being a borderline-adaptation of Densha Otoko, this revenge thing I've tooled around with since freshman year... but sometimes I'm reminded of what I really want to write.

I don't quite know how to explain it. A great adventure. The kid who leaves home and goes on a journey, along the way getting fancy new clothes, maybe a neat sword, and has some goal he's running towards, and later returns home a man, a changed man. Something that just makes you smile when you read or watch it. Something you root for. Something that everybody can relate to on some level, whether it brings back memories or it embodies that sense of wonder when you first step out into the world, when you have a thousand paths you could take and an entirely blank slate. Everybody has wanted to go on a grand adventure, and anybody who says otherwise is lying.

I'm reading Stardust, which is tragically short (and MAN is it better than the movie), and I think the best way I can describe what I want to write is something that makes me feel the same way I do when I'm reading Stardust, incredibly excited to read more even though I know how it ends, taking it slow because I don't want it to end, walking around after reading a few chapters and noticing the smaller things in life that are otherwise left unnoticed, the way a leaf blows around in the wind, the changing shapes of clouds, and how the further you drive away from the city the more vast and endless the stars become. It's the kind of book that makes me want to drive out to the country, lay down on the roof of the car off some small road, and just stare at the stars, letting my mind run wild.

That. That's what I want to write.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I'm writing something about a great adventure already, so don't steal it. Mine is set more in modern times though. Well not so much "modern" as I'm making up my own age. Kinda like Dragonball, to use a really nerdy/bad example. Anyways, don't steal my ideas.

Keep it medieval, yo.

petethepanda said...

Apparently we must have modern ages do battle.

Crossover fanfic?