Monday, August 18, 2008

we're coming down to the ground

I guess it might be a little early on to say this.

I'm not the kind of guy to try to have his favorite movies battle it out and shove them into a list since it's the kind of thing that is always changing. However, I do generally like to figure out my top few just for the sake of conversation. For a number of years, I've considered Raiders of the Lost Ark to be my favorite movie, with a lot of others high up there (Star Wars, The Royal Tenenbaums, Lost in Translation, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Stranger Than Fiction, Back to the Future, The Matrix and Almost Famous to list the ones that immediately pop into my head) that I couldn't possibly rank.

I think I can rank two now, though, since Raiders has been knocked into #2 by Wall-E. We've yet to see if I'm still loving it years down the road, but I've never loved a movie so intensely right off the bat.

It's been "when it rains it pours" at work lately, so on the painfully boring days here and there I have a lot of time to just think about random shit, and Wall-E has been something I've put a lot of thought towards lately. I just love the hell out of it. There isn't a single thing I don't utterly love about it. I've seen it four times, and I really want to see it again, though I'm waiting for it to hit the $3 second-run theater, and I can't wait to pick up the Blu-Ray on Nov 18th and see it on the new embarassingly awesome TV in our basement (I find myself repeatedly assuring people "it's a couple year old floor model and we got a deal on it"). Even hearing tracks off the OST gets me a tiny bit choked up. Every time I've felt down lately, I find myself wishing I were in the middle of a dark theater watching Wall-E, and I acted on it once.

I in fact want to be watching it right now.

I need to hunt down Andrew Stanton and give him a big fucking hug. If I ever get to Pixar, that is the first thing I do. Complimenting Lasseter on his shirts, I'm afraid, will have to come second.

No comments: